Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Law Of Diminishing Returns

" The Law Of Diminishing Returns" basically states that after reaching the 'peak', whatever additional input you put-in, the output or returns are on a downward curve. No, i'm not preaching economics today but, rather expelling my frustrations with the current state of my workout regime.

I spend 3-4 times a week at fitness 1st. My typical schedule is like mon (combat, pilates), tue (pump), wed (combat), thu (yoga), sat (pump). I used to do pump on wed and rpm on thu but, stopped many months ago. I find that i cannot seem to recover from my workouts. I'm in constant state of sore-ness ie. latic acid buid-up. Before you say "he's working out too much", i've been on this schedule for some time now. The poor recovery feeling only happened since CNY this year.

I've also been carrying chronic injuries since college/uni, when i was working out in the 'old school' gym at ss2. It was dark, the equipment were home made, rusting, the air was stale with old sweat...damn i missed the place! Back then we were more concern with how much weight, how many reps. We'll train through the pain...in hindsight that's a pretty dumb thing to do.

We were also obssessed with food - how many egg whites, chicken breasts, protein shake, creatine, etc. to eat per day. I used to make my then girlfriend (now, ngap aka pussycat = panther) cook chicken breast, eggs, pasta for me nearly everyday. Of course, some of the amateurs bodybuilders were on roids. Tempted but, i was scared of uncle (gym owner) shooting the needle up my ass, filled with horse steroids no less. Nowadays, i eat anything under the sun even the dreaded chicken skin and sugary drinks...which is why the 6 pack is now a 1 pack.

Ok, i'm obssessed with working out:) I love the adrenaline rush, the natural high, when endorphins are released after a good work out. However, i've not been getting that rush recently. I feel totally exhausted and i'm usually snoring by 9.30pm...

Anyway, working out is not giving me the pleasure i used to enjoy yet, i cannot give it up for so many reasons e.g. health, my exploding waistline, etc. It's actually becoming quite a chore, to drag myself to gym nowadays. Maybe it has to do with the sleep deprivation tactics used by m1 and m2 on me ala Guantanamo Bay. Or, age is catching up...that's a story for another day.

I have thought of changing my workout regime, trying something new...more contact oriented...still thinking. fitness 1st is just below my building and the other places are a distance from home and work.

For those who workout, rock on! For those who don't, you don't know what you're missing...Rule 1: Endorphins Good, Latic Acid Bad!

check out www.fitnessfirst.com.my, www.kdta.com, www.escobarbjj.com, www.pushmore.com.my

7 comments:

diane said...

Dear Mr R,
Funny you suggest change. May i suggest you consider an absolutely engaging form of exercise which being with S and end with X. A lot of people practice it. Talk about adrenaline rush, the natural high, endorphins.. Calories burn definitely. Equivalent to a good cardiac workout. Low impact, easy on the weak joints (unless engaging in challenging poses).
Downside requires a partner. Safety precaution measures required at times.
Like many good things in life, its best when shared.
if you are interested you can give me a call.

Good luck!
Anonymous signing off

diane said...

Dear Mr R,
Question: will shooting the ass with horse steroid make the person a Stallion?

raymundo de amundo said...

this is a announcement from the blog owner: this is a PG rated blog. no x-rated comments literal or implied are allowed.

go to sleep!

Dorabie said...

eh...actually i heard our office there Push More is quite happening leh...they all got no equipment just make all the Dai Zak Luo run around our office area and make them pull here and there...All body fit fit...so maybe u can consider them. If u are interested let me know...I am committee member mah..so can get cheaper rate for u...hahhaahhaa

Dorabie said...

wait ...am i saying anything not related again??

raymundo de amundo said...

yep, pushmore is an option but, you sure got good price? but, not sure about running half-naked around your block for all peppies to laugh at is a good idea.

anyway, i'm thinking more of cmd ie. mma + bjj; program at kdta but, some people say i sudah tua. cannot handle the contact. *sigh* anyway timing also very odd 9-10pm Mon, Wed. Not exactly my workout time.

Dorabie said...

I repeat- COMMITTEE MEMBER...sure got happening offer one. Otherwise, will ban his gym in our office area..hahahah :P

anyway, i am quite lost with "cmd ie. mma + bjj; program at kdta " eh all the short forms cannot get it man.

But since fitness first is quite convenient..you should continue la, bro...Take care for now. Happy Earthy DAY!